for volunteering to coach for our recreational league. Our organization was started in 1977 and was built on the hard work of thousands of volunteers like you! Please review the information on this page and use it as a guideline and reference for coaching in our youth recreational division.
Coaches, please take time to review Happening Now, Up Coming Meetings & Game Day Reminders below for the latest information you will need.
Fall 2022 Zoom call for all divisions
Coaches, please take some time to refresh yourself on some important referee game instructions. Please pay special attention to the substitution area. Click on the image below for a full PDF version.
A Zoom conference call takes place for all divisions and those login details are shared will coaches that are in the system signed up to coach and verified prior to the meeting.
ALL YOUTH RECREATIONAL LEAGUE COACHES AND ASSISTANT COACHES MUST successfully complete eligibility requirements EVERY CALENDAR YEAR as part of Sporting Brookside’s volunteer process. These must be done in advance and approved prior to being assigned as a head coach/assistant coach. See below for links and information
Coaches! Please click link this & take the time to read, Sporting Brookside’s COVID-19 Information.
Coaches can create their own teams and invite players they know. After a coach registers their team, they’ll have full access to their own team page with the ability to manage their own roster invites.
There, they can view the TEAM CODE.
Sporting Brookside’s registration system, Blue Sombrero/Dick’s Sporting Goods, has a free app that allows coaches and parents to stay connected during the season. The GameChanger Team Manager app includes team rosters, schedules and field information that’s automatically updated from Sporting Brookside’s website.
Here are some things you can do with GameChanger Team Manager:
• View game schedules
• RSVP to games, practices and events
• Participate in team discussions
• Sign up for team tasks (i.e., snacks, refreshments, etc.)
• View event directions and weather forecasts
• View team rosters and player profiles
• Share game day photos with your team members
**Teams MUST be fully scheduled in the Elite Program BEFORE the start of the season for eligibility.
Get your team training on a higher level!
The Elite Program: Promoting growth and transition within the Sporting Brookside Soccer Community.
The Elite Program is an 8-week training curriculum designed to unify Sporting Brookside’s soccer community by making available experienced soccer coaches to the Sporting Brookside Recreational teams. Experienced coaches will provide a technical and tactical personalized team development program that follows Sporting Brookside Competitive Soccer Curriculum. Available for Grades 1st – 8th, boys and girls.
Get your team started today!
Contact Coordinators: (click names for emails)
SWOPE PARK VILLAGE
Youth recreational coaches in 1st-High School divisions may sign up for a practice spot for their team at Swope Soccer Village prior to each recreational season.
Teams generally practice between the hours of 5 pm & 10 pm Monday through Thursday (depending on availability). There are no Friday through Sunday practices. Please send your request prior to each youth league season to Nick Garcia by meeting the following guidelines:
Teams in grades 1st through 3rd are generally allotted 1/8 regulation field space, grades 4th through 7th/8th grades are allotted 1/4 regulation field space and HS teams are allotted 1/2 field space (7 pm and later) if available. If a HS team wishes to practice earlier than 7 pm, that team may use 1/4 of a field.
Rules for practicing at Swope:
• Please make of note of your practice time/day and field assignment before arriving at Swope.
• Practice space is ONLY available during the youth league season. No practices are available during bye weeks.
• You may ONLY practice in your assigned space during your assigned time. Moving into open field space is not allowed. It may cause issues for a coach who may plan arriving to that space late.
• If your practice ends at 6:30 pm, move your players off the field at 6:30 pm.
• Each field is separated into quadrants, and each field had a sign with either an “N” or “S” (indicating North or South). The west side of each field is the one closest to Lewis Road.
• Small goals for younger teams are available at the southernmost area of Field 1. Those or any goal a team uses during practice MUST be placed in their original spot along the fences at the end of your practice (unless the next team has asked for them to be left). That coach/team will then be responsible for returning goals to their proper space.
• If for any reason a team does not plan to practice during their allotted time/day, you MUST notify Sadie Johnson of the change at Sadie@BrooksideSoccer.org.
• Keep ALL children OFF THE GOALS/NETS and fences.
Sporting Brookside will attempt to accommodate schedule requests/conflicts for valid reason and within timeframes but are not guaranteed. We highly encourage coaches to plan ahead and submit block out day requests in advance, as mid-season schedule accommodations are extremely difficult due to field availability.
To be considered, all requested schedule changes MUST be submitted by the coach, use the form below and follow club scheduling request guidelines:
To Send Schedule Change Requests - Please Click on Pat's Name BELOW and answer the questions in the email body for faster action.
Please send requests to Pat Houtakker
Complete uniform kits for recreational teams are distributed at the Recreational Coaches’ Meeting prior to the start of each fall season. Teams will use those uniforms for both the fall season and the following spring season. If coaches do not attend the meeting, uniforms will ONLY be available to pick up at the Sporting Brookside storage area at Swope Soccer Village on the morning prior to your first game. Uniforms will not be available at other locations nor during weekdays. Only coaches may pick uniforms for teams; do not send parents to pick up uniforms.
Send uniform order form below to Uniforms@BrooksideSoccer.org. The form should be used for teams needing a different size from what’s in the kit they already received or for players who might join the team for the spring season. We ask that any new unused uniforms be returned to us to help keep those costs down.
If replacement uniforms are needed for any reason for a player who participated in the most recent fall season (i.e. outgrown, lost/stolen, etc.) that player must pay $20 per jersey, $5 for short and $15 for Pre-K/Kindergarten soccer balls.
COACHES. All coaches are required to complete the background check screening process EACH CALENDAR YEAR and obtain approval from Sporting Brookside. All coaches MUST carry proper government issued photo ID to every game so field monitors can verify they are on the coach approval list.
PARENTS. Parents who help at practices in the presence of an approved head coach or assistant do not need to complete a background approval. However, any parent acting as coach at a Sporting Brookside practice or game, without the head coach or assistant coach present, must complete and receive the background check approval prior to leading a Sporting Brookside team event.
1. Complete online form. The background check process is online, transmitted instantly, safely and securely to our background check vendor. The online form only takes a few minutes and you only need your full name, addresses, social security and birth date.
2. Sporting Brookside Coach Approval List. All approved coaches will be placed on the Sporting Brookside Coach Approval List.
3. All coaches are required to carry a government issued photo ID to verify their identity and background check. Strikes will be issued based to any coach not able to show proof of their identity or background check and may disqualify you from coaching with Sporting Brookside.
Strike 1: Verbal warning to immediately resolve: either show photo ID or complete background check.
Strike 2: Coach will be asked to leave the field of play and will be unable to coach until he/she completes the background process or shows proof of identification.
Strike 3: Coach is banned from coaching a team or participating in ANY Sporting Brookside event for one year.
Coaches, check out the new additional IMPORTANT information to the SAY Soccer's Risk Management Policy in full pdf at the bottom of this section.
ALL Coaches (RECREATIONAL & COMPETITIVE), Staff and, Board members are mandated to complete the SafeSport protocol.
This is mandated by SAY Soccer and the US Soccer Foundation, our national governing organizations, for all adults required to interact with minors. The course includes training on sexual misconduct awareness, emotional and physical misconduct awareness, and mandatory reporting.
You are required to complete the online SafeSport training prior to any practice or game.
This online training course will take approximately 60-75 min to complete. Upon completion you will receive a certificate to verify course attendance and completion. This course is at no cost to Sporting Brookside Coaches, Staff or Board Members. You MUST complete the process, no exceptions! Training will be required every two years.
Upon SafeSport training completion, forward your certificate to Angie Miller with Sporting Brookside at firstname.lastname@example.org. If you have any questions, please don’t hesitate to email or call Angie or Nick.
Thank you for your participation to keep our kids safe.
The Coaches & Players Only area during Sporting Brookside games is for just that — for head and assistant coaches and team members only. All other parents, siblings and excess coaches are to sit on the spectator side of the field.
• Volunteer coaches who are on the sidelines or actively participate in practices are required to complete a background check. Information regarding Background Checks can be found BELOW.
• There is a 2-coach-per-sideline rule. ONLY the allocated head coach and one assistant coach should be on the sidelines during games. Also, siblings and anyone other than background-checked coaches/players should be in the sideline/spectator area. Please remind your parents of this rule and the reasons for implementing it:
Rules & Conduct
In addition to asking your parents to read and accept the Sporting Brookside Parents Code of Conduct that Sporting Brookside has created, please make sure to read ALL of the rule areas in the link below: